Sunday 19 October 2014

All the world is conquered


All the world is conquered,
And the stubborn stain of
Revolution rubbed out.
Who are you? I’m
A question unasked.
I’m dry river beds, I’m
Bleeding tongues. I’m
Crumbling walls, I’m
Shrivelled fingers. I’m
Empty eyes, I’m fraught,
I’m chaos, I’m naked.
I’m the shame of the shameless.
I’m a million ghosts, I’m
Nothing in return. I’m
Another voice, another
Face, another no one to forget.
I’m fresh oblivion, day
By day, I’m the sign of the cross.
I’m a shapeless spectre, I’m
A shadow, I’m a pall. I’m
The pill you never swallow,
I’m the cure and I’m the cause.
I’m the scream and I’m the silence,
I’m nothing at all. I’m
The devil in the detail, I’m
A body in the street. I’m
Close to death, I’m
Still alive. I’m flower petals
Crushed underfoot. I’m
The sweet scent still hanging
In the air, I’m the stench
Of decay. I’m withered, I’m
Rotten, I’m shiny gold. I’m
Resignation, I’m resentment.
I’m what’s left behind.
All the world is conquered,
And the stubborn stain of
Humanity rubbed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment