Thursday 22 September 2016

Abernathy character interview, part II

This time, it's Paul Gallagher, one of the first people to find Sarah's body and one of the key protagonists. Enjoy, share, and of course, pledge at my Unbound page to pre-order the novel!

Name: Paul Gallagher

Age: 30

Occupation: Production manager, machinery plant

Place of birth: This very town, in my mom and dad’s bedroom

How long have you been working at the plant?
Since I graduated high school. I like the work. I’m good at it, and like my old man always said, it’s an honest living. I feel like I belong there.

What would you have done instead?
I don’t know. I thought I had a shot at being a football player when I was in high school, but I wasn’t good enough to get a scholarship. Maybe I could have been a cop – I know I can scare the shit out of people when I have to.

If you could live anywhere else in the world, where would it be?
I think maybe I’d just be a wanderer, if I could. I’d just roam the earth, see it all. I don’t think I could find any place else to belong the way I do here.

What’s the one thing that makes you proudest?
Finding a place for myself in this world. Standing up tall even when everybody around me wanted to beat me down. Surviving.

When were you happiest?
The day I met Billy. I remember it like it was yesterday, even though I wish I didn’t sometimes. I felt free. I felt alive. It’s hard, knowing I can’t ever have that again.

What’s your biggest regret?
That I couldn’t do more to help Billy. That he had to die the way he did. That I didn’t see it coming. If it hadn’t happened, maybe I could have been a better friend to Jimmy, too. Maybe we wouldn’t be where we are now.

What’s your greatest fear?

That I don’t have a place in the world anymore – that all that’s over now, because of…what happened.  

No comments:

Post a Comment