Saturday 1 October 2016

Abernathy character interview, part III

Here's the third instalment, this time with Jimmy Murphy, the last person to see Sarah McIntyre alive. As always, visit my Unbound page, watch the video, read the excerpt and pledge to pre-order.

Name: James (Jimmy) Murphy

Age: 29

Occupation: Labourer, construction worker

Place of birth: The back of my mom’s Camry, or so my dad said

How did you and Sally meet?
Church, back when I used to go. I liked her right away. I liked how she didn’t know how pretty she was when she smiled. She was so smart and funny – way too good for me. I knew that, even if she didn’t. I kept waiting for her to find somebody better, waiting for her to figure it out. I wanted her to figure it out. She deserved…more than me.

How long have you been married?
Almost five years. I asked her when we’d been dating for, like, two months. I knew she’d say yes. I knew how much she wanted to love and be loved. All I ever wanted was to make her happy. Guess that didn’t work out so great.

Why not?
It’s like I said: she deserves more. I’m weak. I know I am – always was. She should have somebody who can take care of her. Not somebody like me. I tried to be better for her, but…I guess I just didn’t have it in me.  

If you could live anywhere else in the world, where would it be?
Someplace warm and quiet, where I could be out of everybody’s way and I wouldn’t have to live up to anybody’s expectations. Someplace where there was nobody to disappoint. Someplace where I could just…be.

What’s the one thing that makes you proudest?
Making Sally happy, at least for a little while. I know she’s not happy now – hasn’t been for years, no matter how hard she tries to pretend otherwise. But there was a time when she didn’t have to pretend, and I’m glad of that.

When were you happiest?
Honestly? I don’t know that I’ve ever really been happy. I don’t think I ever did enough to earn it.

What’s your biggest regret?
That I let Sally down so badly. I wish I could tell her how sorry I am, how much I always loved her, but it’s way too late for that now. It’s too late to make any of it better. I just hope maybe she knows somehow.

What’s your greatest fear?

That I hurt her too much for her to ever get over it.  Sally, I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.

2 comments:

  1. Poor Jimmy. Poor Sally. I hope it's not too late.... ~Miriam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You can find out by pledging to pre-order the novel ;-)

      http://unbound.co.uk/books/abernathy

      Delete